Sunday, July 20, 2008

Anatomy of a Boyfriend- Daria Snadowsky


This is my first book for the YA Romance Challenge
Book description: 
Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.
Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.
And then came the fall.

Anatomy of a Boyfriend, by Daria Snadowsky was one of the most addictive books I have ever read. Although it has a similar plot to most other teen books, Snadowsky is more frank and explicit than most other authors. I was not expecting this but it didn't keep me from devouring the book in a single day.

The main character, Dominique (Dom), is an aspiring medical student, who is extremely focused on her academic work and getting the scholarship she needs so she can become a doctor. She meets Wesley, a track star from another school in the city, when she attends a football game with her friend Amy. Amy is the wild one of the two, having random hookups with guys she hardly knows, but when she sees Dom's reaction to Wesley, she thinks it's time for her friend to get in on the action.

For a while, Dom and Wesley are just friends. This was the part of the book that was the most addictive. You kept waiting for something, anything at all to happen, but Snadowsky waits until the perfect moment to let the big reveal happen. Finally, when they start dating, Dom is afraid about how inexperienced she is, yet she realizes that Wesley is in a similar situation. 
They begin to have many firsts together, and Snadowsky explains their encounters very vividly, such as the struggles they have with some of their firsts. One of their firsts was making out in his car for so long that the windows fogged up. The police officer pulled her out of the car, and Dom started worrying that it would be her father, who is the police chief. Things seem to be working fine, until they each go their separate ways for college. They have an ideal, like many high school couples, that nothing will change. They face many challenges, and new thoughts and discoveries are made along the way. The fact that they are in different schools adds to the strain of their relationship, and Wesley becomes distant. 

One thing I really enjoyed about this book is the fact that Snadowsky didn't glamorize sex and make it sound like everything is perfect about love. There are times when it is awkward, hard, or even downright horrible, but you have to take the good with the bad. She creates Dom as a real person: one who experiences self doubt, struggles, challenges, first love, self discovery and even heartache, all within a period of less than a year.

This was a great first novel by Daria Snadowsky, and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next time.

No comments: